Coconut oil is frequently referred to as a ‘superfood’ due to its outstanding health properties and versatility.
In contrast to this its superfood statement is disputed due to its whopping saturated fat content of 92 percent.
The 92 percent saturated fat should not put you off however as its structure varies drastically from bad saturated fats. Coconut oil is made up of healthy saturated fats called MCT’s& SCT’s ( Medium Chain Triglycerides, Short Chain Triglycerides) which are easily converted in the liver as energy. Plus coconut oil offers too many health benefits that you would seriously be missing out. It also offers the exceptional properties of being an anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal, fighter, therefore assisting with healing.
Its internal benefits include:
- Blood lipids normalisation
- Protection against liver damage from toxins including alcohol
- Helps to prevent kidney disease
- Revs up metabolism which assists with weight loss and fat burning. It is easily digested, assists the thyroid function and aids stress removal from the pancreas; both organs play a role in weight loss and fat burning. A great addition to your weight loss programme.
- Helping to prevent gall bladder disease
- Improves our body’s ability to absorb various minerals including calcium and magnesium. A great aid in preventing osteoporosis naturally.
- Blood glucose control – diabetes management. Definitely one to include in your healthy eating for diabetes.
- Boosts energy and endurance, helping your work-out endurance due to its healthy fat content being effortlessly converted into energy by the liver
- Assists in preventing various heart conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and atherosclerosis due to its lauric acid content of approximately 50%
- Assists the condition and appearance of the hair, scalp and skin
- Aids mineral absorption which is key to maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
Coconut oil does not just benefit internally but also externally:
- Skin care products:
- Make-up remover
- Hair mask:
- Nourishment to hair and scalp
- Anti-Oxidant; assists with premature aging
It is also a fantastic ingredient for raw, cooked and baked recipes. Coconut oil is fantastic for cooking as it does not oxidise under heat, making it less inflammatory to your body in comparison to alternative cooking oils.
Coconut oils consistency enables it to substitute ingredients such as lard, butter or other high-saturated fat products when cooking or baking. In addition to this it can be used as a spread, in smoothies or blended in coffees or teas to replace cream.
There are various processes coconuts go through during the growth, oil extraction and manufacturing process. So if you are looking to use as part of your weight loss programme or for being healthy, Due to the chemical method used to create ‘refined coconut oil’ we highly recommend purchasing organic virgin coconut oil as it is grown and manufactured naturally without the application of heat or chemicals, therefore not altering the oil purity.
All of us here at H&W40 use coconut oil for being healthy and aiding our weight loss programme when we need it..